Monday, June 9, 2014

Final Exam Essay: Due Friday

Read Oprah Winfrey's "What I Know for Sure" column from O MagazineHere Embarrassingly, I used to like Oprah.  I used to read this magazine with fervor each month.  Even now, as my affection for Oprah has waned  I find value in them.  Life, to me, is about figuring out "the things we know fore sure."

Your final exam essay is this:  What do you know for sure?  You should explain this "thing"(just one) in a well-written, 4-6 paragraph essay--with all the voice/personality you can muster.  You may "steal" a quote from something you have seen or read as a starting point; perhaps this was your 'aha' moment(another Oprahism).  Mine, for example, came from the following lines from The Secret Life of Bees:


“In a weird way I must have loved my little collection of hurts and wounds. They provided me with some real nice sympathy, with the feeling I was exceptional...What a special case I was.”


Reading that for the first time, I realized that I held on to my past, and the wounds caused there, and wore them like a badge of honor.  This, in the end, was the very thing keeping me from evolving, and it was the moment I figured that out that changed me forever.

Good luck.  They're due on Friday, either to me directly or digitally.  Typed, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.